Yes, Joy and I both agree, that Purina has the RIGHT idea for people AND Dogs and Cats! With their new program, Pets For 55 Plus, Purina is helping those 55 and over adopt dogs and cats at no cost! What could be better than that? Read the article below and find out all the health benefits that keeping a furry companion offers! As many of you already know, Joy came from a very special place: Indian Summers Border Collie Rescue. www.indiansummers.org. Her first adoption anniversary and birthday all collided this year on Mother’s Day and what a wonderful day it was. Joy not only brings smiles to our cat Safari and to my husband and me, but to all her neighbors and friends around her who she mauls with sweet cuddles and kisses! If that does not keep you young, nothing will! We LOVE Purina for helping shelters and rescues and hope their new program leads to many more good adoptions that lead to happy forever homes with loving people.
Here is some great information about the program!
With Love from Joy and Me!
They Say 60 is the New 40.
Add a Pet, and it Could Feel More Like 25.
It’s no surprise that having a pet in your life can help you feel healthy, happy and more engaged with the community. And they definitely help us feel young at heart.
The impact of pets in the lives of older adults can be exceptionally amazing. In the article For Seniors: Pets Are Just Plain Healthy, written by Ed Kane, PhD, we see some of the benefits to older individuals in particular:
- Pets promote social interaction, decrease the feeling of loneliness and isolation, and increase morale and optimism.
- Pets encourage playfulness, exercise, and promote laughter.
- Pets satisfy the need for touch and to be touched, and give nonjudgmental warmth and affection.
- Seniors with dogs go to the doctor less. Dogs are preventative and therapeutic against everyday stress.
- For people aged 65-78, dogs are a major factor of conversations with passersby. Companion animals readily elicit friendly responses.
- Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
- Pet owners have fewer minor health problems, lower medical costs, better psychological well being, and higher one-year survival rates following coronary heart disease.
You can find even more articles about the benefits of pets to older adults at http://www.petpartners.org/page.aspx?pid=334.
So, what do you say? Are you ready to experience the clear benefits of having a pet in your life?
Indian Summers Border Collie Rescue is part of a special program, created by Purina®, which allows eligible adopters age 55 and older to adopt a pet at no cost. So, what do you have to lose? Come find your next companion today!